Crisp coleslaw is a refreshing accompaniment to all sorts of grilled and roasted meats. This simple side is really just shredded vegetables tossed with dressing—so experiment with other vegetables, such as shredded broccoli, Brussels sprouts or red cabbage, and additions, such as dill or toasted hazelnuts, to find your perfect combination. For a delicious gluten-free dinner, serve mini burger patties on top of a bed of slaw.
Fennel, Apple and Toasted Walnut Slaw
- 2 Tbs. walnuts
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, fronds removed, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cups (6 oz./185 g) shredded green cabbage
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) loosely packed cilantro, coarsely chopped
1. Heat a dry frying pan over medium heat and add the walnuts. Toast, stirring occasionally, until darkened in color and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Add the fennel, cabbage, apple and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the walnuts. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
By Williams Sonoma. Original post: http://bit.ly/2jS3MP0